Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday June 24- The Journey Nears

Just 3 days until I leave for Bulgaria.  Have finally gotten all the kinks out of the itinerary- looking forward to getting there.  I'm going from Boston to London on Monday, have a few days in the London area, then on to Sofia Bulgaria, and then to the Pirin Golf Course, on Thursday 6/30.  Not being much of an international traveler, it kind of makes my head spin.  Bulgaria is going to be completely alien to me; not only do I not speak the language, but I can't even read the alphabet!

I've been doing some research on Bulgarian food and, of course, Bulgarian drinks.  Some of it sounds less than exciting, but, what the hey!  When in Bulgaria, do as the Bulgarians do.  One thing for sure- its going to be a unique experience!

The LZ Field Open is also going to be a unique experience.  If you aren't familiar with it, their website is
http://www.bfra.org/qrp/.  Choose your language, then you can look at the rules, etc. having to do with it.  It looks like their goal of filling the 100 slots for competitors has been realized; a look at the competitor list shows ops from 16 countries on 4 continents will be there; US ops include K1ZM, K1LZ, W6OAT, K3LP, K1VR, and AI6V.  The rules are also slanted to provide a pretty level playing field: QRP stations, 80M only at 1100-1500 Local time, an impossible-to-guess, always changing exchange, no multipliers, and points awarded only if the exchange was copied correctly by both stations.  I understand that the Europeans have been doing things like this for some time, but this is the first time I've been involved with it.  My expectations are rather low, but I do have my game plan for the contest in place, now only need to execute it.

No comments:

Post a Comment